Dealing with Dental Anxiety
For some people, visiting the dentist can be a stressful experience. It is estimated that 35 million adults experience anxiety at the thought of an upcoming dental visit and end up postponing their appointment. At Dr. Gotamco’s Office, we want to assure you that we understand this anxiety and want to make your visit as pleasant as possible.
Here are a few tips to help you relax before and during a dental treatment:
- · Tell your dentist and the dental staff if you feel fearful, tense, or anxious. Talking about your fears can help your dentist tailor the treatment and pace to suit your needs.
- · Try to schedule your dental visit for a time when you won’t be rushed or physically strained. You may be find a Saturday or early morning appointment less stressful than rushing to see the dentist directly after work.
- · Get a good night’s sleep the night before and eat light meals the day of your appointment.
- · Wear loose, comfortable clothes to your dental appointment. Avoid wearing tight collars or clothes that will restrict your movement.
- · Arrange a signal ahead of time with the dental staff, such as raising your hand, to indicate you are feeling discomfort or need a break from a procedure.
- · Bring some music to listen to during your treatment.
- · Try visualization. Focus on a relaxing scene from a favorite vacation spot and keep it in your “mind’s eye” during the visit.
Please talk to me about medications that are available to help create more relaxed, comfortable dental visits. The type of procedure, your overall health, history of allergies, and your anxiety level are considered when determining which approach is best for your particular case.
Again, our number one goal is to provide you with gentle, quality dental care. Please feel free to call us today at (209) 473-8884 to make an appointment.