Dangers of Oral Piercing
Maybe you or your friend have considered, or may already have, mouth jewelry or other piercings. Though you may think this looks cool, it’s my job as your dentist to alert you to the harmful side effects of this trend.
Here are some common risks of oral piercing that you may not have thought about:
- · Since your mouth contains millions of bacteria, oral piercing may easily become infected.
- · Your tounge - the most popular site in the mouth - could swell large enough to block your airway
- · Piercing can cause uncrontrollable bleeding and nerve damage
- · You can choke on any studs, barbells, or hoops that come loose in your mouth.
- · Teeth may be chipped or cracked from contact with the jewelry.
- · Bacteria breeding around your piercing can cause bad breath.
Also keep in mind that since your oral health is so closely linked to your overall health, the effects of an oral piercing may have greater impact than you realize. You are not only risking your oral health, but also the well-being of your entire body.
If you have any questions, please feel free to contact me at (209) 473-8884 or we can check your mouth during your next dental visit if you have concerns. Thank you for being one of our valued patients.
· Since your mouth contains millions of bacteria, oral piercings may easily become infected.